5 Signs of Serious Mold Problems

Mold is a type of fungus that grows in multi-cellular thread-like structures called hyphae. There are several species of mold, many of which are toxic to humans to varying degrees. Mold thrives in dark, damp, and cool climates and can grow both inside and outside properties with excessive moisture issues. A mold colony in your home or business can pose a serious health threat to those in your building and should be dealt with as quickly as possible. Below, our New York waterproofing professionals at Everdry Waterproofing have compiled a short guide to help property owners identify mold issues on their properties. Read on for 5 Signs of Serious Mold Problems, and contact our team at (585) 247-7692 today!

  • Visual Evidence of Mold Itself

    The first item on our list may seem like a no-brainer: seeing mold in your home or business most likely means you have a mold problem. However, spotting mold itself is easier said than done --- for multiple reasons. Firstly, mold can often look like dirt or common food staining; so many homeowners fail to see the threat for what it is, even if it's right in front of their eyes. Depending on the particular strain, mold can grow in a variety of colors, including black, brown, gray, and white. Another reason why mold is difficult to spot is because it often grows in hidden areas. Most mold species thrive in dark, damp climates --- which means they're more likely to grow in less visible spots such as insides of drawers or cabinets, and not out in the open. If you do happen to spot mold in your home, this may be an indicator that there is a much larger mold population growing somewhere you haven't found yet.
  • Other Visual Evidence

    Aside from mold itself, there are several other visual cues that can tip property owners off to a potentially serious mold infestation on their premises. Warping and deterioration of materials on your property (including the walls, ceilings, and furniture) is often indicative of a major moisture problem. Since mold thrives on moisture, mold infestations are frequently seen in homes with moisture damage. Moisture can also show itself in the form or rust and paint cracking, bubbling, and peeling. If you see any of these signs in your home or business, you likely have a moisture problem, which means a mold infestation could already be lurking in your home.
  • Water: Condensation, Leaks, and Flooding

    Above, we covered instances where moisture damage may show itself in the features of your property. Sometimes, seeing water itself is all the evidence you need to diagnose a major moisture problem and subsequent mold risk on your property. Excessive condensation is one of the telltale signs of too much moisture in a space. If it looks like your windows and pipes are continually sweating, this is likely a sign of excess moisture in your home. Leaking is another major cause for concern as far moisture and mold growth in concerned. Leaks from pipes, ceilings, and other areas of a property provide a steady source of water for mold to grow. Lastly, flooding can cause water to build up in unwanted areas of a property, creating the perfect climate for mold to grow. Even floods from years past can leave water to linger in a home or business after everything is "cleaned." If you suspect lingering water from past flooding, it may be a good idea to call a professional for an inspection.
  • Mold Odor

    Mold itself has a distinct odor that can be detected by simply smelling localized areas around your property. If a mold infestation is large enough, you will likely begin to smell it from wherever you are on your property. Keep your nostrils tuned for an unpleasant musty odor. If you smell it, don't ignore it. It's likely a sign that you have an unseen mold infestation somewhere on your property. Take the next step and schedule an inspection with a professional in your area.
  • Toxic Mold Symptoms

    Mold can have a host of negative health-related impacts on people of all demographics --- especially those with allergies. Most non-toxic molds can induce allergic reactions such as coughing, headaches, and other cold-like symptoms. Mycotoxins from toxic molds such as Stachybotrys chartum can induce several neurological symptoms, including dizziness, memory loss, a shortened attention span, headaches, and concentration-related issues. If you are frequently experiencing any of these symptoms in your home or business, it may be a good idea to have your property checked for mold.

If you would like to learn more about mold infestations or schedule an inspection for your home or business, please don't hesitate to contact our New York waterproofing professionals at (585) 247-7692 today!